Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Double Ka Meetha......


This authentic bread pudding commonly known as "Double Ka Meetha" is a rare piece of dish originating from Hyderabad in India. It is an immensely rich dessert and worthy of special occasions. Of course you can make it any other time too if you like looking skinny & thin or if you are a believer that "Weighing Scales are not a reflection of you" ;) then keep on preparing it.

I had first eaten this dish at my husband's cousins place and trust me the way she prepared this dish made me say, 'Let's give it a try'. I am not much of a sweet- eater but my better half just loves sweets and this is the only reason I give it a try.


Ingredients:
About 6-7 white bread slices
3/4 cup sugar ( I added just 10 tsp sugar)
1 1/4 cup water
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
few strands of saffron
1/2 cup mixed nuts ( pistas, cashews, slices almonds and chiroli(sara paruppu) seeds)
Method
1.Cut the bread into quarters.
2.In a skillet add some ghee and then toast these slices













3.Prepare the sugar syrup by adding the sugar and water in a skillet until it thickens. remove from heat and add the cardamom powder.
4.Warm the milk and evaporated milk together and add saffron strands to it.
5. Arrange the bread slices in a deep pan and pour the sugar syrup over it.













6.Now pour the milk mixture over it.
7. Garnish it with toasted nuts and saffron strands.













Now, if you've stopped staring at my priced dish, I would like to have a taste of it ..... Go ahead and try this simple, easy and tasty bread pudding from our own Hyderabad.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear what you have to say...